On a mission to eat Healthy

Let's face it. When you have a house full of young picky eaters it's hard to eat healthy. You get tired of prepping veggies and making dinners just for them to refuse to eat it. Snacks become alternatives to meals and before you know it you are spiraling down a path you don't want to go. It's easy to not fight with them and just have things on hand you know they will eat without argument.
I felt like we were hitting rock bottom with our 6 year old because all he wanted to eat were sweets and his "favorite" foods. He refused to eat because " It's not my favorite". I made it my mission to try and break him of this, because we can't have our favorites all the time. Not to mention every time he said something was yucky it had a cascading effect on his little sister. I needed to find a way to break the cycle and make trying new foods fun again.
When Samantha was little I would go to the store and let her pick something new to try. This stopped working and I felt defeated when she refused to eat this new food she helped pick out and prepare. Buying a cart full of veggies for a family of 7 is pricey and I stopped being adventurous because I felt as though I was wasting money. I limited to only buying apples and celery because these were some of the few things my kids would just grab and eat as snacks. I stuck to only buying the seasonal veggies on sale and dreaded preparing them knowing what was to come.
I have fiends who love their local produce boxes and I was always so grateful when they gifted me one. It was still a battle and there was no customization. So getting a box half full of kale wasn't going to fly with my non adventurous veggie eating crowd. I gave into the idea that our local produce box wasn't a good fit for our family or budget.
Some time later I keep seeing add for misfit produce and imperfect foods and it got me thinking again. I looked into several ones that I cam across and learned that most didn't deliver in our area or were too expensive for our budget. To my surprise a friend on Facebook shared her veggie haul from a company that previously said they didn't deliver in our area so of course I had to go back and check it out.
Thus began my search looking into Imperfect Foods again and this time I was learning more about it because I was able to ask my friend questions about the ordering process. After learning I could totally customize my box and I could save additional money by using her referral code. ( we both got $10 off when I used her code!) So I did it, I plugged in my credit card info and was able to dive into more of what this company had to offer. I was able to customize our first box with fruits and veggies, most of ones I knew my kids had never tried, like blood oranges! The kids loved them and they normally don't like citrus fruits. I caught Joe stuffing the last one in his back pack for a school snack, boy did I feel like I was winning!!! Best part was when I stumbled across how they help their community and those who can't afford access to lots of healthy fruits and veggies. Hmm, could this be a way I could make this more affordable for our family? As I looked more into this I realized Yes, this would indeed help us and I was sure we would qualify. It was simple application and a week later I found out we were accepted for a discounted box! Score, now I really was winning!!!
Here are some pictures of what we got in our first box and some of the healthy meals we enjoyed as a family! Also if you feel adventurous  and want to try it out here in my referral code, if you use it we both save $10 on our next boxes! Click here to get your imperfect box http://imprfct.us/v/leslie_1203


 Beth was so excited to see what was in this giant box!!!
 Our imperfect Haul complete with dark Chocolate!!!
 Grilled Cheese with tomato, yum!!!
Pan roasted brussel sprouts, carrots and potatoes. we served this with a store made rotisserie Chicken, talk about quick and easy!!!
 Italian sausage roasted with red peppers, celery and carrots served over noodles.
 This is one I had to research to figure out how to cook, delicata squash. This recipe called for them to be roasted to a crisp and light seasoned. And OMG were they great. I feel like I could sub these for french fries!
 Cucumber and tomato salad with balsamic vinaigrette 

Roasted butter nut squash and potatoes with lemon chicken and garlic.

I also made some yummy baked pears  that were eaten too quickly to get a picture of. 
Looking forward to my next box that will be arriving on Thursday!!! But until then I will enjoy snaking on the last of the celery ( they sent me an extra in addition to the one I ordered!)



Comments

Popular Posts