Potluck Dinner

So this evening Tim and I were invited to a potluck dinner hosted by one of his professors for Duke Divinity. Tim had told be several weeks ago that we his class was invited and that he intended to go. In talking with his parents I was reminded that it was coming up this week...what Tim failed to tell me was that he had told them I would bring one of my cakes. So in less then 24hrs I was to make a cake and I was out of just about everything I needed to get the job done. I was off the the store and back as quickly as I could so I could start baking cakes at 9pm at night..yes 9pm. Thankfully I had no issues with my oven and the cakes were baked , cooled and put in the freezer by 1am. In the morning I mixed my frosting, dirty iced my cake and then later went back to put the full layer of frosting on and the finishing touches of course. I must say it came out wonderfully!


So as we were getting Samantha ready to go she was pretty excited. She was insistent on wearing here green beads , pink bows, and her new purple cape. She looked pretty silly. Typical two almost two year old who dressed herself...she has style all of her own. When we pulled up and walked through the side gate into the yard Samantha was very excited to see two bigger children and a very fun play set..complete with swings and a slide. We played out here a good bit until dad let her go solo on a swing. She went "thump" of course but no worries she was okay and not phased by it at all.
It was nice because they had everything a small child needs and made sure to let me know that there was nothing that she was going to do that would make a miss of things. One of her favorite things there was an art easel with a chalk board. She had the best time coloring on this...I might seriously need to invest in one when she gets to be a bit bigger. Her other favorite thing was the English bull dog! She had no idea what to think of him but she knew he was a dog and loved to follow him around. She gave him lots of nice gentle pats and got a very wet kiss from him.
Samantha enjoyed her evening at the Smith house and we did too...it was nice to break bread with many of Tim's peers and be in the presence of good company!

Comments

Popular Posts